Monday, April 02, 2007
Egg masala with fish paste
Inspired by sambal preparation , i came up with my version of egg masala
It came out very good and was a big hit.It smells like fish pickle , has a subtle taste of fish .. overall it is a fishy dish.
Hard Boiled Eggs - 3 cut into half
Small red onion - 7-10
Tomato - 1/2 diced ( 3 tsp if using puree )
Red Chilly Pwdr - 1/2 tsp
Corriander Pwdr - 1 tsp
Turmeric Pwdr - 1/2 tsp
peppercorns - 5
Curry Leaves - 1 spring
Vinegar - 1 tbsp ( i used rice vinegar )
garlic paste - 1/2 tsp
yellow onion - 1 finely chopped.
aniseed - 1/4 tsp
Cooked crabmeat - 20 gms. ( Can also use cooked prawns - 6 )
Tamarind dissolved in 1 cup water
Gingely oil - 1 tbsp
Oil for cooking
Dry roast the following for a minute
Dont let any of the ingredients burn.
Cloves - 2
Cinnamon - 1/2 inch stick
Channa dal - 1/2 tsp
Split Black Gram dal - 1/2 tsp
Sesame seeds - 1/4 tsp
Fenugreek - 1/4 tsp
Jeera - 1/4 tsp
Aniseed - 1/4 tsp
Poppy Seeds - 1/4 tsp
1) Grind the dry roasted ingredients to a powder.
2) Grind the spice powder with red onions onion , tomato , crab meat , chilly pwdr , corriander pwdr, garlic paste , vinegar to a smooth paste.
3) Add some curry leaves to the above paste . Mix well and set aside for 5 minutes.
4) Heat oil , Pepper corns , turmeric pwdr , curry leaves and onions.
5) When onions turn brown add paste. Reduce to simmer and cook covered for 10 minutes.
6) When the oil comes on top add gingelly oil , tamarind water , curry leaves , aniseed and few drops of vinegar.
7) Cook covered for 5 minutes.
8) Add the eggs.