B4 going to the recipe lets read some facts about Mustard greens.
Summarized from http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=93
Are packed with nutrients. They are a good source of vitamins , minerals and dietary fiber.
Are rich in antioxidants Vitamin E.
Promote the health of Lungs.
Delays the loss of mental power.
Supports womens health with its calcium content.
Produce Sulforaphane when chewed, this causes the liver to produce enzymes that
detoxify cancer causing chemicals and cause colon cancer cells to commit suicide.
Mustard greens - 1 cup ( I used the frozen one )
Green chilly - 5
Onion - a small one chopped finely
Tomato puree - 5 tsp
Cumine pwdr - 1/4 tsp
Corriander pwdr - 1/2 tsp
Ginger Garlic paste - 1/2 tsp
Cashews - 7-10 and Poppy seeds 1 tsp both soaked in little warm water
Milk - 1 1/2 cup warm for soaking jaggery
malai - 3 tsp ( I tied a handful of cottage cheese tightly in a cloth , left it for 10 minutes
to drain all the water. Now grind it, U will get a creamy paste )
Garam masala - 1/4 tsp
Aaamchoor - a pinch
Turmeric - a pinch
Jaggery - little soked in the warm milk
Corriander leaves - 2 tsp chopped
Butter - 2 tsp ( I used "I cant belive its not butter" )
Mustard greens have a slight bitter taste , to compensate that i used some jaggery.
Another way to level the bitterness will be to use swetish vegetables like
louki or peas. I used to cashews and butter as i was sceptice about how it will
turn out. After all its an experiement.
1) Heat a tsp of oil in a pan , Add green chilly , when they begin to turn white
add mustard greens , butter. Saute till there is no raw smell.
Take care not to brown it. If it loses all its water content , u will not
get a paste while grinding.
2) Grind the above with 2 cashews and a tsp of milk.
3) Heat oil in a vessel, saute onions. Add corriander leaves and ginger garlic paste.
Add cumine pwder , corriander pwdr .
4) Grind the cashews and poppy seeds to a paste.
Stir in mustard greens puree , tomato puree and salt.
5) Let fry till there is no raw smell. Add cashew paste, garam masla and aamchoor.
6) Fry for few seconds. Add milk. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
7) You should have a thick gravy now. Add malai, boiled aloo or fried panner.
I added boiled soya balls as i did not have stock of the above.
Simmer for 4 minutes. Serve