Friday, May 04, 2007
Cooked 4 dieshes with these.
I wanted to make patras with beet leaves , may be next time..
Beet Leaves with Black Eyed Beans
The above is a poriyal made with black eyed beans. Only difference is to replace
curry leaves with beet leaves
Beet Root with Whole Moong
The above is a poriyal made with whole moong dal and grated beet root.
Cook the moong dal till nearly done. Then mix salt and turmeric to it.
Shallow fry till browned. Then proceed with making the poriyal.
Also made a brinjal curry with the beet stalks , but nothing was left to take pic :-(
Wednesday, May 02, 2007
Tuesday, May 01, 2007
This is my Mom's recipe , and it did turn out like how she makes inspite of me skipping the adding coconut part.... I envy Mallus coz they are inert to coconut .. I have to think of cholestrol , calorific value , Blood Pressure and blah blah b4 adding coconut ..... I guess they add some other ingredients to balance out the effect of coconut ...
Chicken - 1 lb
Onion - 2 big , chopped finely
Tomato - 1 , chopped finely , 5 tsp is using puree
Ginger Garlic paste - 3/4 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves - 2 springs
Sonf - 1 tsp
Corriander pdwr - 3 tsp
Bay Leaf - 1 big leaf
Cloves - 4
Cinnamon - 1 inch stick ( does this ever change :-))
Roast and grind the following with a tsp of water to a coarse paste
Jeera - 3/4 tsp
Whole Black Pepper - 2 1/2 tsp
Green Chilly - 4
Poppy Seeds - 1 tsp
Shredded Coconut - a handful ( I skipped this )
Dont put too much jeera , u will end up with rasam!!
1) Mix Chicken with turmeric powder , some chopped curry leaves and set aside.
Heat oil , add bayleaf , cinnamon , cloves and sonf
2) Add onions , when they turn brown increase heat add ginger garlic paste ,
when there is no raw smell , add the ground paste.
3) Add tomato , corriander pwdr and salt.
4) Fry for a minute. Add chicken , 2 cups water. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes
5) Remove lid and cook on high for 15 minutes or till gravy is thick.
6) Garnish with curry leaves and corriander leaves
Crab And Egg Fry
Oil - 3 tsp
Friday, April 27, 2007
From somewhere got the image of how beautiful paneer would look
in a pink coloured sauce .. And Lo we go
Beet Root - 2 medium sized chopped to small pieces
Onion - Big sliced
Ginger Garlic paste - 1/4 tsp
Chilly Powder - 1 1/4 tsp ( use half more than the usual ,as beets are sweetish )
Garam Masala - 3/4 tsp
Yogurt - 3 tsp
Paneer - as much as u want .. I like slices than the usual cubes
Cardamom - 2
cinnamon - a very small piece
Milk - 1 1/2 cups
Boil milk with the cardamom and cinnamon for 2 minutes.
1) Heat oil , Add onion slices and half of the garam masala.
2) Cook on low heat. When onions are light brown add ginger garlic paste.
3) When there is no raw smell add chilly powder , salt.
4) Stir in chopped beetroot.
5) Increase the heat , make space in the middle and add yogurt tsp by tsp
each time waiting for the water to evaporate and mixing it with the masala.
6) Add remaining garam masala and cook covered for 10 minutes.
7) When beets are cooked , switch off , cool and grind to a smooth paste.
8) Heat oil , add the paste , saute for few seconds. Remove the caradmom and cinnamon and add the milk and stir well
till you get a thick gravy. This should take less than a minute.
9) Add paneer. Garnish with corriander leaves
made of mustard greens. Sounds good doesnt it ..
B4 going to the recipe lets read some facts about Mustard greens.Summarized from http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=93
Are packed with nutrients. They are a good source of vitamins , minerals and dietary fiber.
Are rich in antioxidants Vitamin E.
Promote the health of Lungs.
Delays the loss of mental power.
Supports womens health with its calcium content.
Produce Sulforaphane when chewed, this causes the liver to produce enzymes thatdetoxify cancer causing chemicals and cause colon cancer cells to commit suicide.
Chopped Mustard Greens - 1 cup
Onion - use 1/2 of a small onion , rouchly sliced
Green chilly - 4 ( whole)
Sugar - a pinch
Oil - 2 tsp
Heat oil , fry the green chillies , add the mustard greens and onions.
Saute till there is no raw smell. The leaves should retain their color , it should not
Grind to a paste with 1 tbs water.
Mutton Gravy :
Mutton - 200 gms
Chana dal - 1/2 cup
Bay leaf - 1
Cardamom - 4
cloves - 5
Cnnamon - 1 inch stick
Onion - big sliced thinly
Tomato - 5 tsp puree
Corriander leaves - 2 tbs chopped
Mint leaves - 5
Corriander pwdr - 1 tsp
Yogurt - 4 tsp ( Mix mutton with yogurt and set aside )
Ginger garlic paste - 2 tsp
Green chilly - 4 , Sonf - 1/2 tsp and Jeera - 1 tsp ground together coarsely
I used mutton that needs 15 whistles to get cooked..
1) Heat oil , add bay leaf , cardamom , cloves and cinnamon
2) Add onions and cook in low heat till light brown.
3) Add the green chilly mixture and ginger garlic paste
4) Add Corriander leaves , mint , tomato , salt , corriander pwders
5) Raise to high heat and add mutton yogurt mix.
6) Keep stirring till all water evaporates.
7) Add 2 cups water and pressure cook mutton.
8) Cool , remove and add green paste , chana dal , water if required
If you are not confident about the green paste , u can saute it in oil for few seconds
9) Pressure cook for 3 whistles.
10) Garnish with corriander leaves
Thursday, April 26, 2007
Nilgiri Korma - vegetables cooked in a flavorful onion sauce
Nilgiri Curry - potatoes simmered in a green corriander sauce topped with coconut milk
This is my entry for Nupur's A-Z event for Letter "N"
Dry red chilly - 5
Corriander seeds - 2 1/2 tsp
Jeera - 1 1/2 tsp
Sonf - 1 tsp
Poppy seeds - 1 tsp
Cinnamon - 1 inch stick
Cardamom - 4
Cloves - 5
Bayleaf - 1
Onion - 1 big , cut roughly , boiled and ground to a paste
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
Vegetables chopped - 1 cup ( I used soya balls , lauki )
Thick Coconut Milk - 1 cup
Corriander and Mint - 2 tbs chopped finely
1) Dry roast red chilly , corriander seeds , cumin seeds , saunf , poppy seeds.
Grind to a paste with some water.
2) Heat oil add bay leaf , cinnamon , cloves and cardamom. When aromatic add onion paste
3) Saute till light brown. Add ginger garlic paste. Fry till there is no raw smell.
4) Add salt , spices paste.
5) Add vegetables. Cook covered for 5 minutes.
6) Add a cup of water, Cook the vegetables.
7) Add coconut milk and simmer for 5 minutes.
8) Add corriander and mint.
I did not want too much of coconut , so i used dal as a thickening agent.
I cooked masoor dal , mashed it well with a few drops of ghee and
added it to the korma instead of coconut milk.
Nilgiri Curry :
Corriander - a small bunch
Mint - 2 springs
Garlic - 3 cloves
Ginger - 1 inch piece
Shredded coconut - a handful
Onion - half of a small onion
Green Chilly - 6
Poppy seeds - 2 tbs ( soaked in warm water)
Grind the above to a paste.
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Corriander powder - 1/2 tsp
Onion - a small one chopped
Onion - a medium one chopped roughly , boiled and ground
Coconut milk - 1 cup
Potato - 2 medium sized , boiled , peeled and cubed
1) Heat oil , mustard seeds , fry chopped onions. Add onion paste.
2) Saute till light brown , add green paste , corriander powder. Fry well.
3) Add Curd and potato. Fry for 2 minutes. Add garam masala , coconut milk. Simmer for
I added some fish to the curry as i cant survive without non veg..