Tuesday, April 03, 2007
Naan At Last
I once tried making naans without yeast !!! Dont ask me why i even tried it..
It came out like a cheap cake :-( ...
I found this recipe in Asha's blog which in turn is from Paati's en veetu samayal....
The Naan turned out like Naan and i liked it a lot ...
Boy am i excited ...
Bread Flour - 2 cups
Warm Milk (135F) - 1/2 cup
Active dry yeast - 1 tsp
Sugar - 2 tsp
Salt - 1 1/2 tsp
Dried Parsley - 2 tsp
Melted Butter - 3 tbs
Yogurt - 3 tbsp
Olive Oil - 1 tbsp
1) Take Milk in a big vessel , Add yeast and sugar. Let stand for 10 minutes till yeast foams.
2) Add salt , parsley , butter , yogurt , oil and mix slightly.
3) Add bread flour and knead to a soft dough.
Transfer the flour to a soft surface and knead for 5 minutes.
Transfer back to vessel. Cover and let it stand for 2 hours till the dough doubles.
Punch down and let stand till it doubles again.
4) Divide dough into 5 parts.
5) Roll to a tear shaped naan.
6) Heat Oven to 550F. Cook naan for 4 minutes on a baking sheet, till the naan puffs up.
7) Remove , flip it on tava and brown it on medium heat.
8) You can brush some melted butter for a richer taste... I did not do it as the
naan was rich enuf already.