Carrot - 1 grated
Corriander leaves - 1/2 bunch chopped finely
Curry leaves - few , chopped finely
Besan - 4 tbs
chilly powder - 1/2 tsp
turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
corriander powder - 1/2 tsp
soda bicarb - a pinch
salt as required
Oil for deep frying
1) Mix All ingredients other than carrot , onion.
2) Add enough water to form a thick batter
3) Add onions and carrots
4) Take small amounts of this mixture and deep fry.
5) Drain oil and set aside.
Onion - 1 Big
Tomato - 1 Big
Chilly pwdr - 3/4 tsp
Corriander pwdr - 2 tbs
Tamarind - lemon sized ball soaked in water
Hing - a pinch
mustard seeds - 1 tsp
urad dal - 1 tsp
jeera - 1 tsp
fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp
seasame seeds - 1/4 tsp
fenugreek seeds - 1/2 tsp
dry red chilli - 4
curry leaves - few
garlic - 2 pods mashed
1) Chop onion and tomato roughly. Cook together in 1 cup water for 10 minutes.
2) Drain , cool mixture and grind onion and tomato to a smooth paste with 1/2 tsp sugar.
3) Heat oil , splutter mustard seeds. Add urad dal , when it turns brown add
jeera , fenugreek , fennel seeds, red chillies , seasame seeds , curry leaves in this order.
4) When the red chillies are fried well ( This is the key ) , add garlic , hing.
5) When garlic gets roasted add the onion-tomato paste.
6) Fry till oil seperates. Add salt , chily pwdr and corriander powder.
Fry till there is no raw powder smell.
Add cashew paste and fry for 3 minutes.
7) Add some of the drained onion-tomato water , about 1/4 cup.
8) Cook on high till the water evaporates.
9) Now add the tamarind extract and some curry leaves.
10) Cook on high till the kuzhambu becomes thick.
11) Add the fried pakodas before serving.
Enjoy with rice..