Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Ground Eggplant Dal with cabbage peas poriyal



I wanted to have dal , but not the conventional style.
My husband wanted to have Eggplant , but i dont like it ...
I have just begun to venture into vegetables , brinjal is not in my favorite list yet...
However i can have brinjal when it is fried and mashed ...
I think its more psychological .. i dont want to see the brinjal pieces ...
I came up with this recipe to satifsy both me and Asif.
Here we go

Ingredients:

For Dal:

Toor Dal - 1/4 cup
Moong Dal - 1/4 cup

Pressure cook the above mixture with 2 cups water .. I did for 3 whistles.

For Eggplant:

Eggplant - about 12 small cubes
Onion - 1 medium onion sliced thinly
Tomato - 1/2 tomato small cubes
Turmeric pwdr - 1/4 tsp
Chilly pwdr - 1 tsp
Cumine pwdr - 1/4 tsp
corriander pwdr - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves - few
Garlic - 1 pod sliced
hing - 2 pinch
salt

For tadka:

mustard seeds - 1 tsp
curry leaves - a spring
jeera - 1 tsp
dried red chilly - 2
hing - a pinch
corriander leaves - few
oil for tadka

Method:

1) Heat oil , fry garlic and onions. When onions turn light brown add hing , curry leaves ,tomato and fry.
2) Add all masala powders and saute for a minute.
3) Add eggplant pieces. Fry well till the pieces begin to brown.
4) Cool the masala and grind it to a smooth paste.
5) Add this to dal and mix well.
6) Add tamarind water , and bring the mixture to a boil.
7) Do tadka , heat oil , splutter mustard , hing , curry leaves , jeera ,red chilly and corriander leaves.
8) Pour on dal. Simmer for 2 minutes.

No comments: