be it sweet or in the form of undi .. This dish takes it to the next level.
This dish is complete by itself , U need not make rotis or rice to go with it...
For a long long time the only kozhukatai i knew was this...
For the gravy u will need
mutton - 1/2 lb cut into small pieces.
bay leaf - 2
cardamom - 3
cloves - 4
cinnanom - 1 inch stick
kala jeera - 2 tsp
onion - 1 1/2 big onion thinly sliced ( or 1 big and 1 small onion )
tomato - 1 1/2 medium tomato diced ( if using puree , use 5 tsp )
corriander leaves - a handful
ginger garlic paste - 2 tsp
corriander powder - 1 tsp
chilly powder - 1/4 tsp
yogurt - 2 tsp
green chilly - 6
whole pepper - 2 tsp
jeera - 2 tsp
sonf - 1 tsp
salt , oil as required.
For the kozhukattai
rice flour - 1 cup
shredded coconut - 3 tsp
Method for gravy
1 ) Grind the green chillies , pepper , jeera , three fourth of kala jeera , sonf to a coarse paste
and set aside.
2) Heat oil , fry bay leaves , cardamom , cinnamon and cloves , remaining kala jeera.
3) Add the sliced onion. When it turns light brown add ginger garlic paste.
Keep frying till u get rid of raw smell. ( around 2 minutes )
4) Add the chilly paste we prepared in step 1, saute for 2 minutes.
5) Add tomato , chilly powder , salt and corriander powder. Saute till raw smell goes.
6) Add mutton and yogurt. Let the yogurts water dry.
reduce heat and cook covered for 10 minutes or till the water from mutton dries up.
7) Add corriander , fry for sometime. ( The corriander should get fried to get the flavour)
8) Add enough water and pressure cook.
9) After mutton is cooked bring the gravy to a boil.
Meanwhile prepare the kozhukattai.
1) Mix rice flour with coconut.
2) Add 1/2 cup of the gravy that we have prepared.
U can also add some mutton pieces from the gravy for more taste.
3) Mix well and make medium sized kozhukattai.
4) Add these to the gravy
( The gravy should be boiling , otherwise the balls will dissolve in the gravy ).
5) let the balls cook for 15 minutes or till done.
6) After the balls are cooked , dissolve one ball in the gravy. This will make the gravy thick.
7) Remove from flame once the gravy become thick.